The PC 3R Promotion Association was established in May 2004, for the purpose of manufacturers and import retailers of PCs and PC displays promoting the 3Rs (reduce, reuse and recycle) based on the gLaw for Promotion of Effective Utilization of Resourcesh.
The Japan Electronics and Information Technology Industries Association (JEITA), Japanfs electronics related industry group, had been promoting the 3Rs for PCs, but in order for a number of businesses to take a primary role in the promotion of the 3Rs for PCs and to run it as a highly effective recycling system, a related division of the aforementioned association, was independently established. For this reason, the Association is now operating, a paid service for recycling PCs and displays which were not made by manufacturers and so, who undertook the collect and recycle obligation.
Based on the Law for Promotion of Effective Utilization of Resources, the Associationfs purpose is to promote the 3Rs (reduce, reuse and recycle) for personal computers (including associated display devices), starting with the active collection and recycling by businesses of their used PCs.
Description of services
The following services are performed in order to serve the above purpose.
- Public relations and publicity, in cooperation with local governments, relating to the collection and recycling of used PCs which are discarded from households;
- Management and operation of an industry-common system related to the collection and recycling of used PCs which are discarded from households;
- Publicity and educational activities related to the active collection and recycling of used PCs; and the publication of results as they relate to the active collection and recycling as an industry;
- Responding to inquiries from consumers, local governments, etc, concerning the active collection and recycling of used PCs;
- Coordination with the Japan Electronics and Information Technology Industries Association (JEITA) with regard to the promotion of the 3Rs for PCs;
- Coordination with and support for local governments, regarding the collection and recycling of used PCs, which have been discarded from households, and which have no manufacturer, etc, (such as PCs assembled by the user, or PCs made by a manufacturer who has since become insolvent);
- Other services which are incidental or related to the above services.